Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lots of Change

We have had a busy last couple of weeks in our family!  I went back to work from my maternity leave, Hattie started wearing her hearing aids and we found out that we matched at Duke University for Kevin's residency.  Phew!

I've been back to work for 2 weeks now- it's hard for me to believe.  This month Kevin has been doing research and has been able to do a lot of it from home, so he has been playing Mr. Mom :)  It has helped me a lot knowing she was with Daddy and getting some special one on one time with him.  Because I have been at work, Kevin has been dealing with her hearing aids more than me.  He has done a great job of making sure she is wearing them enough hours in the day.

Her cute, pink hearing aids

Some great news with the hearing aids, is that Hattie has responded to sound when wearing them!  So far, she has only startled if she has fallen asleep with them in.  She can primarily hear Kevin's voice because it is deeper than mine.  I know, because of this, that she is hearing when she is awake; she just hasn't started turning to the sound.  Since she is getting some sound then we know that at least one ear is functioning and that is encouraging for a future implant.  Hattie will get another hearing test at 6 months old when she is able to sit in a booth and see what sounds she is hearing.  At this time, she will get a CT scan of her ears to determine if she can get cochlear implants.  Until then we will continue with the hearing aids.

As I stated earlier, we found out a couple weeks ago that we will be headed to Durham, North Carolina this summer for the next 3 years.  Kevin will start his Internal Medicine residency at Duke.  I couldn't be more proud of all he has accomplished.  He has worked so hard during medical school and his determination and discipline has payed off!  This was our top choice, not only for Kevin's training, but because North Carolina is a top notch state in cochlear implants and speech/audiology services.  We feel so blessed that we are moving to an area that will provide Hattie with the best services during these next crucial 3 years in her development.  We had been praying all along that God would make it apparent where He wanted us for residency- He definitely did!  God is good!  I'll leave you with a cute picture of Hattie and Daddy on Match Day :)


4 comments:

  1. I love it! God is great! I am praying for you and I know that our friends in Haiti continue to lift your family up to the mighty LORD in their daily prayers. God bless your family! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God shows us once again that He is in control! Can't wait to see the rest of His plan in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle! I graduated from Penn in 2002 and remember you from high school. A mutual friend told me about your blog. I just wanted to tell you that your baby girl is so beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle-- Somehow I stumbled across you blog and just had to comment. We have a 5 y/o son who is deaf and has worn CIs since he was 3. He is doing great with them but we say so many times how much we wish we would have been able to start intervention earlier. So glad you guys followed up on the hearing screen and have started intervention so quickly! Children's resilience and ability to adapt and learn is so amazing! Blessings- Laura

    ReplyDelete